Baked Avocado and Brown Rice Florentine
- 2 large avocados
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) sautéed baby spinach
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked U.S. long grain brown rice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated Romano cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 4 small eggs
- Oil cooking spray
- ¼ cup (60 mL) pico de gallo
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Halve avocados and remove pits; make larger holes by scooping out, in circular motion, ½ of the flesh from each half into a bowl. Arrange the halves cut side up on a baking sheet; make foil rings and place under each avocado half for support. Season with ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper and top with spinach evenly among halves.
- Add rice, Romano, lemon juice, and ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper to avocado flesh, stirring to combine. Divide evenly among avocado halves making a well in each centre. Crack 1 egg into each hole and spray lightly with oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until yolks reach desired consistency. Top each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) pico de gallo and red pepper flakes to serve.
- Meanwhile, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and paprika in a small bowl to combine. Serve with baked avocados.