Bountiful Brown Rice Muffins
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) toasted, finely ground pecans
- 1 cup (250 mL) cake and pastry flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked U.S. short grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange zest
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) melted, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen raspberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together pecans, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, rice and orange zest. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, butter, sugar and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just to moisten. Do not over mix. Fold in frozen raspberries.
- Fill lightly greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full and bake in the centre of a 375 F (190 C) oven until golden on top and inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer muffins directly to cooling rack and serve warm.
Having all the ingredients at room temperature before baking produces the lightest, tender muffins
Muffins should be eaten the day they are baked or wrapped individually in plastic and frozen for up to 1 month.