Brown Rice Cuban Burgers
- 2 cups (500 mL) gluten-free vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) safflower oil (or a light flavoured cooking oil), divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely diced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each, ground cumin and coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, coarse salt and red pepper flakes (less if desired)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 oz (60g) Queso or crumbled feta
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In saucepan, bring broth and rice to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all liquid has been absorbed, about 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil over medium-high heat. Cook red onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in red pepper and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and red pepper flakes and cook one minute.
- Scrape onion mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Add breadcrumbs, cooked brown rice, black beans, queso or feta and egg and pulse until combined.
- Using wet hands (will help mixture from sticking), form into ½ cup (125 mL) patties.
- Cook in batches in a large, non-stick skillet over medium low heat, using 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil at a time until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Serve on gluten-free buns with dill pickle slices and a yogurt cilantro sauce (and some extra Queso if you’re feeling decadent).
Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) of chopped fresh cilantro to the burger mixture for added flair. Use regular breadcrumbs instead of gluten-free breadcrumbs if you prefer.