Brown Rice Power Bars
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pure nut butter (peanut, cashew, almond) with no additional ingredients
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown rice flour
- 1½ tspgluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL)cooked U.S. brown rice
- 1/2 cup(125 mL)coconut
- 2 cups (500 mL)favourite trail mix*
*To ensure the recipe is gluten-free, avoid trail mixes containing chocolate, Smarties or dates as these products may contain barley malt flavouring or wheat flour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In large bowl, beat butters and sugar until light and well combined. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir into butter mixture until well combined. Fold in rice, coconut and trail mix.
- Spread mixture into a parchment-lined 13-x9-inch (33 cm x 23 cm) baking dish. Bake in the centre of oven until golden and set, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool before slicing into bars with a serrated knife.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.
These bars can also be prepared as cookies.