Brown Rice Wild Mushroom Pilaf
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced onion
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) diced cremini or shitake mushrooms
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 mL) minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 mL) minced fresh oregano
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) uncooked whole grain brown rice
- 5 cups (1.25 L) broth, vegetable or chicken
- 3 oz (75 g) toasted pine nuts
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes until tender. Add the mushrooms and herbs and sauté 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and stir to coat; cook until the rice is lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, stir briefly to moisten the rice, bring to a simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid and bake in a 350 F oven for 40 minutes, or simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the broth has been absorbed. Toss in the pine nuts and adjust the seasoning.