Festive Slow Cooker Rice Muesli
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) uncooked, U.S. long grain brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped dried apples
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) each wheat berries, steel cut oats and barley
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- Vanilla yogurt
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker crock with nonstick spray. Combine the rice, dried apples, wheat berries, oats and barley in the crock. Stir in the water, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Cover. (If making ahead, reserve in the crock overnight).
- Set the slow cooker to the high setting. Cook for 2-1/2 hours or until grains are tender but not mushy. Add the butter; stirring the muesli and adjust the texture by adding extra water to taste. Serve with yogurt and additional honey or maple syrup.
Create a self-serve muesli topping bar where your family and guests can customize their portion. Set out dishes of chopped fresh and dried fruit, crunchy granola, chopped toasted nuts, pure fruit jams, sweet syrups or even chocolate chips.
Leftover muesli can be reserved in the refrigerator for one day and reheated in the microwave.