Hearty Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 cup (250 mL) each: chopped onion, sliced celery and sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) uncooked USA parboiled rice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each: freshly ground black pepper and dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups (2.5 L) chicken stock
- 3/4 lb (375 g) uncooked, boneless chicken, cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes, about 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine onion, celery, carrots, rice, parsley, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and chicken stock. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Add chicken; simmer uncovered 5 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked and no longer pink. Remove bay leaf. Stir in lime juice just before serving.