Hoisin Beef and Rice Roulade
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain white or brown rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each shredded carrot and finely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each chopped green onion and cilantro
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each lime juice and ketchup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) toasted sesame oil
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Cool slightly. Stir cooked rice with carrot, red pepper, green onion and cilantro. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). In a medium sized bowl, stir breadcrumbs with milk, eggs, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Grease foil well; top with a second sheet of foil (to use as a guide when rolling the beef). Crumble beef into bread crumb mixture; mix gently until combined. Press the beef into a 1/3-inch (8 mm) thick, rectangular layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread rice mixture evenly over the beef, leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) boarder around the edge. Roll beef, jellyroll-style, using the top layer of foil to guide and shape the beef into a compact log. Discard extra foil. Smooth the surface using fingers to fill in any gaps. Pinch ends closed. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir hoisin sauce with lime juice, ketchup, honey and sesame oil; brush evenly over roulade. Bake roulade for an additional 15 minutes.