Mexican-Style Stuffed Peppers
- 8large sweet peppers
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL)cooked U.S. rice
- 1 can (19 oz/541 mL)black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (12 oz/341 mL)corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL)chopped medium onion
- 1/3 cup (75 mL)diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)minced jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Garnish:Jalapeño pepper slices (optional)
- Slice off the top of each pepper; remove seeds and membranes; rinse. Cook peppers 5 minutes in enough boiling water to cover; drain. Season inside of peppers with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Combine rice, beans, corn, onion, red pepper, jalapeño peppers, cumin and oregano. Spoon 1-cup (250 mL) rice mixture into each pepper; stand upright in 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake in 350F (180C) oven for 20 minutes. (Add about 5 minutes more if has been refrigerated).
- Remove foil and sprinkle peppers with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Garnish with jalapeño pepper slices.