Miso Collard Wraps
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain brown rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) water to cook rice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) miso paste
- 3 cups (750 mL) thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- 6-8 large collard green leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) cucumber ribbons or slices
- 2 cups (500 mL) julienned carrots
- 2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 cups (500 mL) assorted microgreens or sprouts
- Rinse rice in a sieve under cool running water. Place in a small saucepan with miso paste and water; whisk together until miso paste dissolves. Bring to boil over high heat and reduce to low simmer; cover and let sit for 35-40 minutes until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork and transfer to bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine shiitake mushrooms, water, soy sauce and maple syrup; simmer over medium heat stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes until mushrooms are cooked and liquid has reduced to a thin glaze. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare collard leaves, cut stems and run a knife along back thick rib of leaf discarding stems and leaving a flat round shaped wrapper. Blanch leaves in a large pot of boiling water 1-2 at a time; removing to a bowl of ice cold water. Layer leaves on a tray between sheets of paper towel.
- To assemble wrap, place ½ cup (125 mL) brown rice into centre of leaf, top with equal portions of cucumber ribbons, mushrooms with glaze, red cabbage, carrots and microgreens. Roll up from the bottom, folding in sides halfway through.