Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each, turmeric, cinnamon and chili powder
- 1 28 oz (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 peeled sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain white rice
- 1 19 oz (540 mL) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and chili powder. Cook until onions are tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juices and broth, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add sweet potatoes and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas and zucchini and cook until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
For extra protein, add 1 cup (250 ml) chopped cooked chicken with the zucchini.