No-Bake Chocolate Date and Rice ‘Truffles’
- 1 cup (250 mL) raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) cooked U.S. medium- or long-grain brown rice
- 3 oz (75 g) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp (25 to 45 mL) coconut oil
- In food processor, combine almonds, dates, half of the coconut, rice, chocolate and oil. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped and holds together, about 1 minute. Add up to 1 tbsp (15 mL) more coconut oil, if necessary to help bind mixture.
- Drop 1 tbsp (15 mL) of mixture onto waxed or parchment paper-lined tray. Place remaining coconut in a small bowl; roll each ‘truffle’ into coconut to coat. Return to tray and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Find coconut oil in some grocery stores and most health food stores. These can also be made with white rice. Refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.