Red, White and Rice Canapés
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. short grain rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (125 mL) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 jar (500 mL) roasted red pepper, drained (approx.)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chipotle mayo
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) kosher salt
- 24 rounds English cucumber, about ¼” (5 mm) thick
- Place rice and 2 cups (500 mL) water in a small saucepan and bring to boil over high heat; reduce to simmer covered for 20 minutes or until tender firm. In a large bowl stir together egg and cream cheese, vinegar and salt until smooth; stir in hot rice. Spread mixture evenly and firmly onto a parchment lined 9” x 13” (23 cm x 33 cm) baking sheet; press a top sheet of parchment onto rice. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 15 minutes, remove top parchment and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cut open a roasted red pepper into a flat layer, trim and discard inner softened ribs (this allows for a cleaner maple leaf shape). Flip pepper over to skin side; cut out maple leaves using a 1” (2.5 cm) maple leaf shape cutter. Repeat to make 24 leaves.
- On a cutting board, trim rice slab edges and slice into 24 equal, 1 ½” x 1 ½” (4 cm x 4 cm) squares.
- Spoon a ¼ tsp (1 mL) chipotle mayo onto a cucumber round, top with a rice square and red pepper maple leaf. Repeat to make 24 canapés.
For a more substantial canapé, add a layer of thinly sliced cheese, roast beef, chicken or smoked salmon.