Rum Rice Pudding
- 3 cups (750 mL) 2% milk
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked short or medium grain U.S. rice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 orange or lemon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each: granulated sugar and raisins
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) dark rum OR 2 tsp/10 mL rum extract
- Grated orange zest for garnish
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- In small saucepan, heat milk and cinnamon over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- In large heavy saucepan, combine water, rice and salt. Using a vegetable peeler, remove peel in large strips from orange; place on top of rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove and discard orange zest.
- Remove cinnamon stick from milk; stir milk into cooked rice. Stir in sugar. Return mixture to a boil; reduce heat and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 20 minutes. Stir in raisins and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum. Serve hot. Garnish each serving with grated orange zest and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
To reheat, add a little milk to restore the creamy texture and heat gently or microwave.