Sesame Shiitake Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 10 oz (300 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced (about 4 cups [1 L])
- 4 green onions (white and green parts separated), thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked U.S. short- or medium-grain white rice
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) oyster sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Sriracha sauce, optional
- 2 tsp (10 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- Heat nonstick wok or large skillet over medium-high heat; add half of the oil, swirling to coat. Beat eggs with water; cook in thin layer until set, about 1 minute. Transfer ‘omelette’ to plate; wipe out wok and return to stovetop over medium-high heat; add remaining oil. Add mushrooms, white parts of green onions, garlic and ginger; stir-fry until lightly browned and mushrooms are softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, peas, soy sauce, oyster sauce and Sriracha sauce (if using). Stir-fry until rice mixture is heated through and fairly dry, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Roll up and thinly slice omelette; stir into rice mixture.
- Remove from heat; stir in green parts of green onions, the sesame seeds and the sesame oil.