Sheet Pan Tofu Stir Fry with Toasted Sesame Rice
- 1 pkg (350 g) extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each corn starch and canola oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) each maple syrup and sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Sriracha (or more to taste)
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 4 cups (1 L) broccoli florets
- 1 each red and yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
Toasted Sesame Rice:
- 4 cups (1 L) hot, cooked U.S. basmati brown rice (see tip)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each toasted sesame oil and butter
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped green onion (approx.)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Cut tofu into bite-sized cubes and pat dry on paper towels. Toss tofu with corn starch, canola oil, salt and pepper until coated. Spread out on a large, parchment paper-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk maple syrup with soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, Sriracha and garlic in a large bowl. Measure ¼ cup (50 mL) into a small bowl; set aside. Add hot tofu cubes to remaining sauce in bowl; toss to coat. Add broccoli, peppers, and onion; toss again to coat.
- Spread vegetables and tofu over sheet pan and return to oven. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and caramelized.
- Toasted Sesame Rice: Stir green onions, sesame oil and butter into rice. Serve stir-fry with rice. Drizzle with reserved sauce and garnish with additional green onion and sesame seeds (if using) to taste.
- Combine 1½ cups (375 mL) U.S. brown basmati rice with 2¼ cups (550 mL) water and ½ tsp salt in a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- Replace broccoli, peppers and onion with other vegetables you might have on hand such as thinly sliced carrot, cauliflower florets or sugar snap peas adjusting the roasting time to preferred doneness.