Shrimp and Rice Croquettes
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. short grain sushi rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) saffron
- 1 lb (454 g) small raw shrimp, peeled
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled low fat feta
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) low fat mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sambal oelek chili paste
- In a small pot over high heat, bring rice, broth and saffron to a boil, reduce to low and simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes until tender.
- Pulse shrimp 5 to 6 times in a food processor to a chunky paste. Scrape into a large bowl, stir in egg, frozen peas and feta. Mix in hot rice to form a loose but sticky mixture that holds its shape when squeezed.
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on surface. Shape 1 cup (250 mL) of mixture into loose shaped log at one end of plastic wrap. Wrap plastic around log, shaping and rolling into a firm 1 ½ inch (1 cm) round log. Twist ends in opposing directions to compact log shape. Repeat process two more times with remaining rice mixture. Freeze logs for 1 hour to make firm. Unroll logs and slice into 2 inch (5 cm) long pieces.
- Using a deep fry thermometer, heat 2 inches (5 cm) of oil in a large pot to 350°F (180°C), fry 6 to 8 croquettes at a time until golden brown. Keep a lid or foil handy as croquettes will spit and crackle. Fry to a golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined tray.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise and chili paste.
Raw croquettes can be made ahead and frozen for up to two weeks. Thaw in fridge before frying.