Spanish Chorizo and Rice Frittata
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 12 oz (375 g) fresh chorizo pork sausages (about 3), casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- Half sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked U.S. medium- or long-grain white rice
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) smoked or sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) 10% cream or whole milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Manchego cheese or cheddar cheese
- Heat 10-inch (25 cm) ceramic, enameled cast iron, or nonstick, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat; add oil. Cook sausage, onion and red pepper, breaking sausage up with wooden spoon, until sausage is crumbled and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice, paprika, salt and pepper; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk eggs, milk, parsley; pour evenly over sausage mixture. Cover and cook over medium heat until bottom and side are firm and top is almost set, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese; transfer to preheated oven and broil on high, watching closely, until cheese is bubbly, and frittata is set, about 2 minutes. (Or cover and cook on stovetop until centre is set and cheese melts.)
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Slide onto cutting board and cut into wedges.
To make skillet handle oven-safe, wrap tightly with aluminum foil. Switch it up by replacing chorizo with mild Italian sausages and Manchego with crumbled goat cheese or feta. Can be made with any rice, whether it be short or long-grain and white or brown rice.