Swiss Chard, Lentil and Rice Dolmades with Tomato Dill Sauce
Tomato Dill Sauce:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- pinch ground allspice
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain white rice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt, freshly ground pepper, coriander, fennel seeds and cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked Puy or brown lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pitted black olives
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped dried apricots
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20 large Swiss chard leaves, stems and tough inner ribs removed
Tomato Dill Sauce:
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in wine, salt, pepper and allspice; let simmer for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, breaking up with a spoon; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly; in batches, purée in blender, along with dill, until smooth; spread 1 cup (250 mL) in greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish.
- In separate saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and carrot until softened, about 8 minutes. Add rice, salt, pepper, coriander, fennel seeds and cinnamon; cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until no liquid remains, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in lentils, olives, apricots and egg.
- In large pot of boiling salted water, blanch Swiss chard leaves for 30 seconds, or just until wilted. Drain and pat dry.
- For each roll, spoon 1/3 cup (75 mL) filling in centre of leaf. Fold in sides, roll up and arrange snuggly, seam side down and in single layer, in prepared dish. Pour remaining sauce over rolls. Cover and bake in preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until bubbling, about 30 minutes.
Serve with curls of shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, if desired.