The Rain Forest Spicy Garlic Shrimp with Coconut Rice by: Heydon Park SS
- 3 cups (750 mL) U.S. long grain white rice
- 4 (5.6 oz cans) coconut milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled with tails on, veins removed)
- 3 limes, squeezed
- 4 cloves elephant garlic, chopped
- 2 orange habanero peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- ½ coconut
- ½ bunch mint
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tamarind paste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb okra (8 pieces)
- 2 sliced large star fruit
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 2 sliced mangoes
- Start cooking rice, combine the rice, water and coconut milk in a medium saucepan, cover and bring to a boil. Add butter and reduce heat and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Toss shrimp with lime juice, chopped garlic and chopped orange habanero pepper. Marinate for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the coconut chutney: in a blender pulse coconut, mint, tamarind, salt and pepper. Combine the cooked rice with coconut chutney.
- Heat olive oil on high heat in large sauté pan. Sauté the okra then add the shrimp sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve shrimp on rice. Garnish with cilantro, sliced mango, okra and star fruit.