Two-Cheese Chili Kale and Rice Frittata
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups (2 L) kale leaves (from about half a bunch)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and hot chili flakes
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) cooked U.S. brown rice
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) drained ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded extra-old Cheddar cheese
- In large, wide saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry onion and garlic, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in kale; cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add salt and chili flakes; continue cooking until any liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Stir in rice; spread mixture in greased 9-inch (23 cm) glass or ceramic pie plate.
- In bowl, whisk eggs with ricotta until fairly blended with a few bits of cheese remaining; pour evenly over rice mixture. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until puffed and set in centre, about 35 minutes. Remove to rack and let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serve with roasted cherry tomatoes, if desired (drizzle with a splash of olive oil and roast on tray alongside frittata while baking).