Two-Tone Rice Salad with Shrimp and Feta
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) thawed large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grainy or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked U.S. black japonica rice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked U.S. long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown or green lentils
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved yellow or red cherry tomatoes
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach or arugula leaves
- In dry skillet, toast almonds over medium heat, stirring often, until golden and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer almonds to bowl and return skillet to stovetop over medium-high heat; add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil. Sauté shrimp, garlic and oregano until shrimp are pink and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk remaining oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Add black japonica rice and brown rice, lentils, tomatoes and green onions; stirring well to coat.
- Stir in shrimp mixture, feta and spinach; sprinkle with almonds.