Arroz con Pollo
- 8 pieces of chicken thighs and/or legs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onions
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped smoked ham
- 2 cups (500 mL) U.S. long grain white rice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas (not thawed)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pimento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken on all sides, about 12 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a paper towel lined plate.
- In same skillet, add onion, red pepper and ham; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add rice, garlic and paprika; cook one minute, stirring to coat grains with oil. Add chicken broth and bay leaf, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan; bring to boil. Nestle chicken pieces into rice, cover, and reduce heat to maintain a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in peas and olives. Cover and cook until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.