Basic Rice Pilaf
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) USA long grain rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) boiling chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, salt and white pepper
- Heat 1-1/2 tbsp (20 mL) of the butter in a heavy ovenproof saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion; cook until translucent without browning, about 5 minutes. Add rice, stirring constantly until each grain of rice is coated with butter, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in boiling broth. Add bay leaf, thyme, remaining butter, salt and pepper. Bring to simmer and cover.
- Place in a 350 F (180 C) oven and bake until all liquids are absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Austin Clement