BBQ Bag Biryiani
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain white rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) each chopped onion and tomato
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) golden raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35 % whipping cream
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cubed butter, cold
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) mild Indian curry paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground coriander and cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cardamom, salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium. In a medium sized bowl, stir broth with rice, onion, tomato, raisins, cream, butter, garlic, curry paste, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, salt and pepper until well combined. Place a grill bag on a baking sheet. Spoon mixture into grill bag. Crimp the open end securely closed. Smooth to distribute the ingredients evenly. Slide bag off the baking sheet onto the BBQ grate.
- Cook, lid down, for 10 minutes. Carefully flip the grill bag over; continue to grill, lid closed, for an additional 10 minutes. Slide grill bag back onto the baking sheet; let rest for 5 minutes.
- Wearing oven mitts, carefully cut open grill bag. Spoon rice onto a serving platter. Garnish with walnuts and cilantro.
If BBQ bags are difficult to find, make one using heavy duty foil (non-stick preferably). Place a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet. Fold over the foil and crimp the two side edges tightly leaving the end open. Spoon the prepared rice mixture inside and crimp the remaining edge tightly. Smooth the filling in the bag into an even layer.