BBQ Lobster Stuffed with Rice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked and cooled U.S. long grain rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Applewood smoked cheddar (about 4 oz/120 g)
- 4 lobsters (1 ½ lb/750 g each), halved and claws removed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) flaked coconut
- 2 tbsp each (30 mL) chopped tarragon and parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Sauté onion, salt and pepper with 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in a large skillet over high heat until softened, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk until smooth; cook further 2-3 minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in peas, rice and cheese.
- Season lobster halves lightly with salt and pepper, fill each cavity with about 1/2 cup (125 mL) rice filling. In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil, breadcrumbs, coconut, tarragon, parsley, garlic and zest. Sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Gently place lobster halves spaced evenly on preheated bbq over high heat. Arrange claws around halves. Let cook with lid closed for 10-15 minutes flipping claws once until shells are completely orange and filling has heated through and bubbly.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.