Beet and Rice Flatbread
- 1 bunch beets with tops, about 3 large
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked U.S. sushi rice
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) flax meal
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) garlic hummus
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded smoked Cheddar
- ½ cup (125 mL) sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 cups (500 mL) halved grape tomatoes
- Reserved beet leaves and stems (*see below)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- *Remove leaves and tender stems from beets and soak in bowl of cold water to crisp.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wrap each beet in foil and roast in oven for 1 hour. Let cool enough to handle; rubbing skins away using gloved hands.
- Pulse beets in a food processor until finely chopped; add rice and pulse to combine. Scrape mixture into a bowl and stir in eggs, flax meal, oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture between 2 parchment-lined baking sheets; spreading each into ¼-inch (5 mm) thick oval flatbreads. Bake for 30-40 minutes until breads are lightly golden on bottoms. (If desired, flatbreads can be cooled, tightly wrapped and frozen at this point for future use.)
- Spread each flatbread with ½ cup (125 mL) hummus, divide and sprinkle evenly with Cheddar, olives, and tomatoes. Return flatbreads to oven, lined with just the parchment (no baking sheets) to crisp the flatbread. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly and flatbread bottoms are crisp.
- Meanwhile, dry and thinly slice beet greens; toss with oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Sprinkle on flatbreads just before serving.