Black Bean Soup with Rice
- 1 lb (500 g) dry black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced celery
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped green pepper
- 1 smoked ham hock or ham bone
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups (1 L) Water
- to taste Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) hot, cooked U.S. rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- Cover beans with water; soak overnight. Drain beans and place in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add tomatoes with juice, celery, onion, green pepper, ham hock, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, cayenne pepper, chicken broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 4 to 5 hours or until beans are tender; stir occasionally. Add more water if necessary during simmering. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Remove ham hock and cut meat off bone; return meat to soup. Puree half of soup in blender or food processor; return to pan. Season soup with salt and black pepper. Combine sour cream, coriander and lime juice.
- Serve soup with rice; top with cheese and coriander sauce.