Black Rice Cakes with Smoked Salmon & Dill
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked, U.S.-grown black japonica rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) filtered water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chives, chopped finely
- ½ cup (125 mL) gluten-free oat flour
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp (2mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) dairy-free tzatziki
- ½ cup (125 mL) cucumber, sliced
- 1 lb (500 g) smoked salmon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh dill sprigs
- In a pot, bring black rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes. Once cooked through, cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, chives, oat flour, egg, and salt. Preheat a frying pan to medium heat. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil.
- Form small 1.5-inch diameter patties and batch fry 4 at a time. Cook for 6-8 minutes per side, until crispy. *The mixture may appear to be crumbly, however once cooked, the egg and flour will bind the patties.
- Once they are all cooked, allow to cool slightly. Top with a dollop of tzatziki, piece of cucumber, smoked salmon, and sprig of dill.
- Place on a serving platter and voila, you are party ready!