Black Rice Halloumi Burger
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S.-grown black Japonica rice
- 30 g dried mushrooms
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt, garlic powder and onion powder
- 2 medium Chinese eggplant
- 1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika
- ½ tsp (2 mL) chili flakes
- 200 g cubed halloumi cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sweet (glutinous) rice flour
- 4 tsp (20 mL) olive oil, divided
- 6 brioche buns
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic glaze
To serve (optional):
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) garlic mayo
- 1 avocado
- alfalfa sprouts
- In a small saucepan, combine rinsed rice, 2 cups water, dried mushrooms, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce to simmer for 30-40 minutes until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, chop eggplant into large chunks and pulse in a food processor to the size of peas. Dry sauté eggplant with paprika and chili flakes over medium-high heat in a large non-stick pan until tender; about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place hot rice/mushroom mixture into a food processor and pulse 5-7 times. Remove half of mixture into eggplant bowl. Add cubed halloumi to remaining half of rice/mushroom mixture and pulse about 4 times or until cheese is pea sized. Scrape into eggplant bowl; stir in soy sauce and rice flour until well combined. Form into 6 equal sized patties. In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook patties in 2 batches with 2 tsp olive oil until golden brown. Serve with balsamic onions and suggested garnishes.
- For balsamic onions, cook onions and balsamic glaze in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until tender and caramelized.