Brown Rice, Black Bean and Avocado Pilaf
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. brown rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) sliced cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced green onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped cilantro or parsley
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the rice and stock in a medium saucepan, cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes, or until the rice is still slightly tender.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, mixing well. Stir into the rice mixture and serve immediately.
To make ahead: Prepare up to 2 hours in advance, omitting the avocado, and refrigerate. Reheat in a skillet over low heat until just warmed through; mix in the avocado just before serving.
Recipe courtesy of artoflivingwell.ca