Bruschetta Rice and Cheese Bake
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain parboiled white rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) each milk and water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded aged Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped green onion
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Stir rice with milk, water, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon and half each of the salt, pepper and garlic in a large saucepan until well combined. Set pan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 18 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Turn burner off. Stir in Cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onion. Pour rice mixture into a greased 8-inch (20 cm) square, baking dish. Smooth top.
- Toss chopped tomato with parsley and remaining salt, pepper and garlic; spoon evenly over the rice mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place casserole on the centre rack; bake for 10 minutes. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden.
For a Southwestern version, substitute Monterey Jack cheese for the Cheddar and Parmesan and top the casserole with 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) drained salsa.