- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef
- 1/2 lb (250 g) ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) USA parboiled rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) minced onion
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each salt and pepper
- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 1 10 oz (284 mL) can condensed tomato soup
- In bowl, combine ground beef, pork, rice, onion, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- Remove leaves from cabbage by cutting each piece at the core. Gently separate and blanch in a large pot of boiling, salted water until tender crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer leaves to colander and rinse under cold water until completely cold. Set aside.
- Working with one cabbage leaf at a time; cut out any very large veins from the leaf using a sharp knife. Fill each leaf with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the rice mixture. Fold over sides and roll up to secure. Arrange seam side down in a 13 x 9-inch (3 L) casserole dish. Repeat with remaining cabbage and rice.
- Pour soup evenly over cabbage rolls. Top with water just to cover rolls. Tightly cover dish with foil and bake in a 350 F (180 C) oven for 60 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Linda Galenzoski, Saskatchewan