- 1 cup (250 mL)U.S. short grain or Sushi rice
- 1 cup (250 mL)water
- 1 cup (250 mL)unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL)cubed crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)shredded coconut, toasted
- In medium saucepan, bring rice, water, milk and sugar just to the boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Divide rice into 4 equal parts. On piece of heavy-duty foil, press one quarter of rice into 3 x 6-inch (7.5 x 15 cm) rectangle about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. With long side facing you, make small horizontal channel along centre of rice. Lay ginger in channel. Using foil as rolling mat, shape rice around ginger, pressing firmly to form log. Repeat with remaining rice. Chill foil-wrapped logs in refrigerator for at least one hour or up to one day. Remove logs from foil and roll in coconut. Using very sharp knife cut each log into 6 pieces.
Variation: Omit sugar and stir 1/2-cup (125 mL) melted chocolate into cooked rice. Replace ginger with slices of strawberries and mango.