Caramel Chocolate Rice Pudding Tarts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cold, cubed salted butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked U.S. long grain white or brown rice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) good quality caramel topping or dulce de leche sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, melted
- 5 oz (150 g) semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- Additional caramel sauce for garnish
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in a little milk until smooth, then whisk in remaining milk. Cook the mixture in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk well. Cook for an additional 2 minutes on high or until thickened (to the consistency of yogurt).
- Spoon a little of the hot milk mixture into beaten egg yolks; stir until smooth. Slowly stir the egg mixture into the remaining hot milk mixture. Whisk well; cook on high in microwave for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Stir in the cooked rice and caramel sauce. Chill for at least 30 minutes or until ready to assemble.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two muffin tins (12 regular size muffins in each) with paper muffin cups. In a large bowl, toss the crumbs with the melted butter until coated. Press an equal amount of crumbs into the muffin cups (approximately 2 tbsp [30 mL] in each).
- Bake for 8 minutes or until set and golden around the edges. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle an equal portion of melted chocolate over each crust base. Chill for 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Carefully remove crusts from the liners and transfer to a serving platter. Dollop a spoonful of rice pudding onto each crust. Drizzle with additional caramel sauce to garnish.