Cauliflower and Black Rice Fritters with Feta Olive Relish
Feta Olive Relish
- 1 cup (250 mL)pitted Kalamata olives, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL)diced plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL)crumbled feta cheese
- 1small cauliflower (about 1-1/2 lb/750 g), trimmed and cut into florets
- 2eggs, beaten
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 (60 mL) cupfinely chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL)baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL)cooked U.S. black rice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) (approx)vegetable oil
Feta Olive Relish:
- In bowl, combine olives, tomatoes, mint, oil and vinegar; gently stir in feta cheese. Set aside.
- In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook cauliflower until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain well; transfer to large wide bowl. Roughly mash with potato masher until pea-sized pieces; let cool.
- Stir eggs, garlic, and parsley into cauliflower until combined. In separate bowl, whisk flour, parmesan, baking powder, salt and pepper; stir into cauliflower mixture just until combined. Fold in rice.
- In large stick-resistant skillet, heat some of the oil over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup (60 mL) measuring cup as a mould, pack and scoop mixture into pan to form each fritter, flattening slightly to 1/2 -inch (1 cm) rounds. Working in batches, fry, turning once (use two utensils to turn fritters), until golden and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to rack-lined tray and keep warm in 200°F (100°C) oven while cooking remaining fritters. Serve topped with Feta Olive Relish.
Black rice can be replaced with cooked long-grain brown rice.