Cedar-Planked Salmon Stuffed with Brown Rice
- 1 tsp (5 mL)olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)diced onion
- 1garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL)grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)capers, minced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)dry white wine
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)lemon juice
- 2 cup (500 mL)cooked U.S. brown rice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)chopped dill
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)dried chanterelles, reconstituted and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL)lemon zest
- 4-250gsalmon fillets
- 1large cedar plank, soaked in water for 1 hr
- Lemon wedgesfor garnish
- Fresh dillfor garnish, if desired
- In a large skillet, add olive oil then sauté onion and garlic over medium high heat for 1 minute to soften, add tomatoes and capers. Deglaze with white wine and lemon juice once tomatoes have begun to break down. Bring to a simmer and reduce until sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in rice, dill, chanterelles, and zest.
- Carefully slice salmon fillets through the middle lengthwise but leaving 1/2 inch attached. Open fillets like a book, stuff each with heaping 1/2 cup rice filling and reposition top halves of fillets.
- Place cedar plank on a baking sheet; transfer stuffed salmon fillets onto the plank and cover plank loosely with foil. Bake on lower third rack at 400 F (200 C) for 20 minutes, remove foil and bake additional 10 to 15 minutes until salmon is opaque and flakes easily. Garnish with lemon wedges and fresh dill.
To BBQ, place soaked cedar-planked salmon stuffed with rice on grill uncovered for 25 to 30 on medium high heat with lid closed.
Preparing Brown Rice:
When cooking brown rice, always follow package directions; if they are not available, use this easy method:
1 cup (250 mL) uncooked brown rice
2 to 2-1/4 cups (550 mL) liquid such as water, broth, or juice
1 teaspoon (5 mL) butter or margarine, optional
Combine ingredients in 2 to 3 quart (2 to 3 L) saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice. Reduce heat, cover, simmer 45 to 50 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork. Yield: 3 to 4 cups (750 mL to 1 L).