Chicken and Rice Phyllo Wraps
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 lb (500 g) ground chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked U.S. rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) light ricotta cheese
- 1 pkg (10 oz/284 g) fresh spinach, trimmed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pine nuts, toasted*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each: grated lemon rind and dried oregano
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken, mushrooms and onion: cook 2 to 4 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Reduce heat to medium. Add rice, ricotta cheese, spinach, olives, pine nuts, garlic, lemon rind and oregano; cook stirring 3 to 4 minutes until well blended and thoroughly heated.
- Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, spray 1 sheet with cooking spray; fold sheet in half lengthwise. Place 3/4 to 1 cup (175 mL to 250 mL) rice mixture on one end of phyllo strip. Fold left bottom corner over mixture, forming a triangle. Continue folding back and forth into triangle at end of strip. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and rice mixture.
- Place triangles, seam side down, on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of each triangle with cooking spray. Bake at 400°F (200°C) 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
*To toast nuts, place on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F (180°C) 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.