Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped white onions
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped celery
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped green onion
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) diced uncooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced Andouille sausage (or other spicy smoked sausage like Chorizo)
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh or canned whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked rice, rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in green onions, chicken and sausage; sauté for 5 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients, except the rice.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in rice and cover pan. Transfer to preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.
Recipe courtesy of Brennan’s Restaurant, New Orleans, LA