Chicken, Rice, and Kale Soup
- ¾ cupU.S.-grown long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 smallsweet potatoes, sliced
- 8 cupsbroth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1½ lbschicken thighs, skinless & boneless
- 1 bunchkale, leaves removed and chopped
- 2 teaspoonskosher salt, divided
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, warm olive oil, then add finely chopped onions. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes then add the garlic and continue cooking for about 5-6 minutes total. You want the onion and garlic to be translucent but not brown.
- Add in the rinsed rice, sliced sweet potatoes, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, broth and skinless boneless chicken thighs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook uncovered for 20 minutes until the chicken and sweet potatoes are cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, and once cool to handle, shred. Add the shredded chicken and the chopped kale back to the pot and allow to cook for about 5 minutes until the kale is a little more cooked down.
- Remove from the stove and add the remaining teaspoon of kosher salt, and squeeze in 1 whole lemon. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with lots of freshly ground pepper. And possibly a good sprinkling of parmesan cheese.