Chicken Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) U.S. long grain brown rice, rinsed
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- ¾ cup (175 mL) canned coconut milk
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced onion
- ¼ cup (60 mL) coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cups (750 mL) cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped okra
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped green beans
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced red pepper
- Cilantro to garnish
- Place rinsed rice in rice cooker. In a large measuring cup whisk together broth, coconut milk, onion, sugar, fish sauce, curry powder and garlic. Stir liquid mixture into rice and top with lime leaves and chicken thighs. Cook on rice setting or alternately, bring to a boil in a medium pot; cover and reduce to simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- At the halfway mark, add the sweet potatoes in an even layer without stirring and cover. This should be done quickly to avoid losing too much steam during cooking.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the okra, green beans and red pepper in an even layer without stirring and cover.
- Stir vegetables into rice and garnish with cilantro when ready to serve.