Chickpea and Brown Rice Burger
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked U.S. brown rice
- 2 cans (1080 mL / 38 fl oz) of chickpea, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) sunflower seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) mushrooms, diced and leave some whole aside for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 head of lettuce
- 1 small onion, sliced or diced
- Ketchup and mustard
- Cook 1 cup (250 mL) of brown rice.
- While it is still warm (important!), pour into the food processor alongside the chickpeas. Pulse until the chickpeas and rice are smooth and blended together.
- While the food processor is doing its job, on the skillet, toast your sunflower seeds and lightly cook your diced garlic.
- Pour into the chickpea and brown rice into a large bowl and mix in the sunflower seeds, garlic, carrots, jalapeno and mushroom. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After they are well mixed together, shape them into patties (you want them a bit smaller than the buns).
- Put the patties onto the skillet and let it cook on each side for 2-3 minutes each.
- Optional: toast the buns on the skillet too and serve with sliced tomatoes, lettuce, mushrooms, and onions. Top with ketchup and mustard.