Chilean Fish Chowder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)olive oil
- 2medium onions, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL)each, ground cumin and coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL)coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)U.S. long grain white rice
- 2 lbs (1 kg)pumpkin or squash, peeled and diced
- 4 cups (1 L)fish or chicken broth
- 2bay leaves
- 1 lb (500 g)skinless haddock or cod fillets, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)chopped fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring for one minute. Add rice and pumpkin. Stir in broth and bay leaves, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan. Cover and let simmer gently, stirring often, for 20 minutes. Add fish and cook, covered, 10 minutes more, or until fish is opaque.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
For a more authentic flavour (and if you have some in your pantry), omit the turmeric and substitute with a pinch of saffron.