Classic Baked Risotto
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 4 cups (1 L) assorted wild mushrooms [shiitake, porcini, oyster, chantrelle], chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each: salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) U.S. short grain rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Garnish: shaved Parmesan
- In heavy ovenproof saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, onions and garlic, cook until mushrooms are golden and onions are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in rice until well coated. Add wine and stock; bring to boil.
- Transfer pan to 350°F [180°C] oven, stirring occasionally, until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender but firm in the centre, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir in Parmesan and parsley and garnish with shaved Parmesan.