- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) dry white wine, divided
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) chicken broth, divided
- Pinchsaffron threads
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) USA long grain rice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL)finely chopped red onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 8 oz (250 g) diced, skinless boneless chicken breast
- 8 oz (250 g) sliced chorizo sausage
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh mussels
- 1 lb (500 g) 10-12 peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- In a large saucepan, bring 1-cup (250 mL) white wine and 2-cups (500 mL) chicken broth to boil over medium high heat. Add saffron threads; simmer 2-3 minutes. Stir in rice. Cover, remove from heat and let stand without opening the lid for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add chicken and sausage, stirring often until browned and chicken is cooked through. Transfer to plate.
- In same skillet, pour in remaining 1/2-cup (125 mL) of wine and 1/2-cup (125 mL) of broth. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Pour in mussels, cover and cook until mussels have opened, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to plate, discarding any unopened mussels. Reserve remaining liquid.
- Add saffron rice to remaining cooking liquid; stir in cooked chicken and sausage mixture, shrimp, peppers and tomatoes. Cover and cook until shrimp is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and thyme. Garnish with mussels.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Barry Saunders, Manitoba