“Creamy” Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) each chopped leeks (white part only), celery and carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, pepper and thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 6 cups (1.5 L) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain white rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) each broccoli and cauliflower florets
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh chopped parsley
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat; cook leeks, celery, carrots, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper and thyme until vegetables are tender crisp, about 10 minutes. Stir in white wine, scraping any bits from bottom of pan. Cook until wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Pour in vegetable broth, rice, broccoli, cauliflower and bay leaf. Simmer until rice and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Transfer half of soup to food processor, pureeing until smooth. Transfer back to saucepan with remaining soup and stir in parsley. Serve in warmed soup bowls.
Puree all of soup for a smoother texture.