Cremini Mushroom and Roasted Garlic Rice Soup
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter
- 1 lb (500 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked brown rice, divided
- 1 [6 -1/2 oz (185 mL)] container Garlic and Herbs Spreadable Cheese
- 2 [14 oz (398 mL)] cans roasted garlic seasoned chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) water, additional if desired
- 8 slices pre-cooked ready-to-serve smoked bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large non-stick stockpot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook about 10 minutes, stirring periodically. Let mixture cool slightly.
- In food processor or blender, combine mushroom mixture, 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) rice, cheese and 1 cup (250 mL) broth. Pulse mixture until mushrooms are finely chopped but not pureed and mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Return mixture to stockpot; stir in remaining rice, broth and water. Bring to a boil; cook uncovered over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Heat bacon slices between paper towels in microwave according to package directions. Chop bacon and set aside.
- Add salt and pepper to soup to taste. To serve, ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with bacon. Garnish with additional sautéed mushrooms and chives, sliced green onions, or other fresh herbs, such as sage or thyme.