Creole Grilled Rice Pilaf with Spicy Steak
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) trimmed, 1-inch (5 cm) thick, top sirloin steaks, about 2
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) honey mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each paprika, salt and pepper
- 4 tsp (20 mL) hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil (divided)
- 1 cup (250 mL) each chopped onion, green pepper and celery
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain white rice
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) each chicken broth and seeded, diced tomato
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped green olives (optional)
- Lemon wedges
- Place steak on a plate. In a small bowl, blend honey mustard with garlic, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Divide mustard mixture in half. Stir the hot pepper sauce and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil into one portion; rub evenly over the steak. Reserve steak at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Turn one burner on the grill to medium-high, one to medium setting*. Place a foil lasagna pan over the medium burner. Add remaining oil, onion, green pepper and celery to the foil pan. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add rice and remaining mustard mixture; stir to coat each grain of rice.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato, white wine and bay leaves. Cover pan with a baking sheet (to act as a lid). Close BBQ lid and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Stir in the green onion and olives (if using). Discard bay leaves. Fluff rice with a fork and season with additional hot sauce to taste.
- Meanwhile, grill steak over the medium-high burner for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until cooked to preferred doneness. Rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak thinly across the grain. Arrange the steak decoratively over the rice. Serve with lemon wedges.
*Note: If your barbecue cannot accommodate grilling both the rice and steak at the same time, prepare the rice first and let it rest while the steak cooks.
Prepare the rice indoors by proceeding as directed in a large skillet set over medium heat instead of the foil lasagna pan. Use a heavy skillet or grill pan to cook the steak over medium-high heat.