Curried Chicken, Lentil and Rice Skillet
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each butter and canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) mild Indian curry paste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each cinnamon, salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) U.S. long grain white rice
- 1 can, 19 oz (540 mL) lentils, drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely shredded carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) each chicken broth and apple juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced green onion (optional)
- Plain yogurt and mango chutney (optional)
- Heat butter and oil in a large deep skillet set over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Add onion and red pepper; cook for 5 minutes or until tender and golden. Stir in curry paste, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add rice, stirring until each grain is coated with spice mixture. Add lentils, carrot, broth and apple juice, stir to scrape up any browned on bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in peas. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onion (if using). Serve with bowls of yogurt and mango chutney (if using) on the side.
To use long grain brown rice, add an extra 15 to 20 minutes to the cooking time.