Curry Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) minced onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) curry paste (mild, medium or hot)
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chopped Swiss chard or other leafy green
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup (250 mL) low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked short or long grain brown U.S. rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped natural almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°F).
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook, stirring often, until translucent and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry paste, chard, apricots and chicken broth until combined. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked rice and chicken to curry mixture. Stir well to combine. Spoon into an 8-inch square (2 L) baking dish and top with almonds.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and flavours have combined.
Serve with this simple raita: combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt with 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped cucumber, 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped mint and a pinch of salt. Refrigerate until ready to use (can be made up to 3 days ahead).